KNOXVILLE, TN– The Tennessee Valley Authority will close its six campgrounds for winter on Wednesday, November 15, 2023, and they will reopen March 15, 2024. TVA’s day-use recreation areas on dam reservations remain open year-round. These recreation areas are used for hiking, fishing, boating, picnicking, wildlife viewing and swimming.
The closed TVA campgrounds are:
- Cherokee Dam — Cherokee Dam Reservation in Jefferson City, Tenn.
- Douglas Dam Headwater — Douglas Dam Reservation near Sevierville, Tenn.
- Douglas Dam Tailwater — Douglas Dam Reservation near Sevierville, Tenn.
- Melton Hill Dam — Melton Hill Dam Reservation near Lenoir City, Tenn.
- Watauga Dam — Watauga Dam Reservation near Elizabethton, Tenn.
- Pickwick Dam – Pickwick Dam Reservation near Savannah, Tenn.
TVA will begin taking reservations online December 1, 2023, for the 2024 camping season through Vista Recreation, which operates the campgrounds for TVA.
“The range of amenities and the beauty of their settings continue to make TVA campgrounds a popular recreation option for visitors from the Valley region and tourists alike,” said Senior Manager Anthony Summitt, TVA Natural Resources and Recreation Management. “In fact, visitors give our campgrounds a rating of 4.9 out of 5. That’s a result of our partnership with Vista Recreation and our shared efforts to maximize the campground experience for everyone.”
Media Release/Adam May/TVA News