Mooresville…Did You Know?

By  | August 7, 2018 | Filed under: Interesting Facts, News

NOTE:  Alabama celebrates her bicentennial this year.  QCDNews presents Interesting Facts about some of North Alabama’s cities.

Mooresville is one of the oldest incorporated towns in Alabama, having been incorporated on November 16, 1818, when Alabama was still a Territory. It was named for an early settler. Andrew Johnson, later to become to 17th president of the United States, lived in Mooresville as an apprentice tailor when he was a young man. The Union Army occupied Mooresville several times during the Civil War, and a few skirmishes were fought in the vicinity. Future U.S. president James Garfield, then a Union general camped in the area, delivered a sermon at the Mooresville Church of Christ in 1863.

The entire town, described as a picturesque early 19th century village, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Many of the older public buildings, including the Stagecoach Inn and Tavern, the Brick Church, the Post Office, and the Church of Christ, are owned and maintained by the town’s residents.

Historic buildings
Stagecoach Inn and Tavern (1820s) – a frame building constructed before 1825 that served as an inn and post office. This building was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in the 1930s, and underwent extensive restoration in the 1990s.

Mooresville Post Office (1840) – located at the corner of Lauderdale and High streets, this post office is the oldest in operation in Alabama and has call boxes dating before the American Civil War. Some of the call boxes have been owned by the same families since before the Civil War. The call boxes and some of the office furnishings actually predate the building, having been used in the nearby Stagecoach Inn and Tavern.

Brick Church (1839) – a Greek Revival-style church built of handmade bricks that stands on Lauderdale Street. Originally a Presbyterian church, it later served as a Methodist church and a Baptist mission. The church’s recessed entrance is supported by two stucco-covered columns.

Mooresville Church of Christ (1854) – a white clapboard church on Market Street that originally served as a meeting house for the Disciples of Christ. The rear wing and entry vestibule were added in 1937.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip The Drive Service One Dynamic Staffing Singing River Dentistry
306 Barbecue Champy's OTR Ichiban
Designers Graphics

The Quad-Cities Daily